- Congratulations to SalesLoft on their $50MM Series C! Emergence is proud to continue the partnership with the #1 sales engagement platform.
- Portfolio company project44 raised $35MM in new funding to expand their logistics network and supply chain visibility platform.
- Welltok raised $75MM Series E to continue building their software for healthcare providers, insurers, and other groups to create individualized programs that incentivize healthy behavior.
- Emergence CEOs share their secrets to raising Series B.
- Are you GDPR compliant? Principal Jake Saper shares his insights with Entrepreneur on why it’s important for all start-ups to consider becoming GDPR compliant.
- 20 Executives Share Lessons They Wish They Could Have Told Their Younger Selves — General Partner Gordon Ritter shares his advice with Inc. on why it’s important for CEOs to have people around them who are going to question their fundamental beliefs.
- The next level of augmented writing is here! Textio launched Textio Hire, expanding its AI to help people craft better recruiting messages for active and passive job candidates. They’re also a finalist for GeekWire’s Startup of the Year!
- Consumer lending platform Blend Labs announced Blend Marketplace, inviting companies that service the mortgage industry to sell APIs through its platform.
- We’re looking to add a Senior Associate to our team at Emergence. Please pass along your recommendations!
Portfolio Executive Opportunities
- Chief Operating Officer — project44 is revolutionizing the freight and logistics industry. The ideal candidate has previous experience in a c-level position scaling a high-growth SaaS organization. The COO will design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures that promote collaboration and a positive culture and vision for project44.
- Director of Marketing — UpKeep is a modern management system for maintenance workers. They’re looking for a proven strategic leader who will set the overall growth strategy for their products as well as own the budget, metrics, strategy and execution of all marketing programs.
- VP of Sales — Textio is an augmented writing platform for smarter hiring. The ideal candidate has previous experience as a senior sales leader focused on enterprise SaaS in growth-stage startup environments.
- VP of Business Development — Mya Systems is an AI platform that automates screening, process and onboarding for high volume recruiting. The ideal candidate has 10+ years driving business development strategies for technology alliances, including mapping the partner landscape and prioritizing potential partners to overall corporate goals and objectives.
April Enterprise Highlights
The month ended on a high note for enterprise tech IPOs as DocuSign and Smartsheet shares soared after their debut on the public market. DocuSign made its debut at $29/share and raised $629MM in the process, while business collaboration software company Smartsheet raised $150MM during its IPO. This comes after Pivotal Software went public earlier in April, raising $555MM and cloud subscription software company Zuora went public at $14/share with a valuation of $1.4B. Last but not least, payroll software company Ceridian raised $462MM during its IPO.
Along with the strong showing in the public markets, April saw a number of large enterprise growth rounds. Here are some of the top highlights and market trends:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning startups continued the hot streak in April as WorkFusion raised $50MM Series E for their robotic automation software platform and hiring platform Eightfold.ai brought in $18MM. Augmented reality firm Ubiquity6 added $10.5MM while transcription service Verbit roped in $11MM to take on the voice transcription market.
- April was also a strong month for enterprise growth rounds in the sales and marketing space. Drift led the way with $60MM for their conversational marketing platform while customer data company Zaius raised $30MM.
- Other large rounds include background check firm Checkr adding $100MM and ServiceTitan roping in $62MM for to continue building business software for home services. Scality raised $60MM to accelerate development of its cloud-based storage tools and SaaS operations management platform BetterCloud also brought in $60MM.
Thank you for reading and feel free to share this with friends and colleagues.