- Why You Should Make a Candidate Give a Presentation (and 11 Other Tricks for Hiring Rock Stars) — Growth Partner Viviana Faga shares her advice on hiring a great marketer.
- There’s a big shift on the horizon for enterprise software: coaching networks. Partner Gordon Ritter shares his thoughts with Business Insider. He also spent time speaking with Phil Wainwright about the “secret sauce” of Coaching Networks.
- Portfolio company Crunchbase opened Crunchbase Marketplace, a new experience where users can purchase access to third-party data from other companies.
- Congratulations to portfolio company Doxmity on reaching 1 million verified medical professionals as users!
- Do you need a cofounder when starting a company? Zoom CEO Eric Yuan shares his insights with Forbes.
- The augmented writing movement has vaulted Textio to the Fast Company list of the world’s Most Innovative Companies.
- Blend is transforming the mortgage industry. Congrats on making the Forbes Fintech 50!
Finally, we’re looking to add a Senior Associate to our team at Emergence. Please pass along your recommendations!
February Enterprise Highlights
With the new year now in full swing, it was a busy month for enterprise deal making and financings. Red Hat, open source creator of Linux, continued to strengthen their place in the open source market by acquiring CoreOS, an innovator and leader in Kubernetes and container-native solutions for $250MM. In the fraud and identity risk management space, UK-based Relx Group acquired ThreatMetrix for $817MM.
We also saw several private enterprise companies busy fundraising in February. We sifted through the deals to find some of the notable highlights:
- Startups in the communications management and productivity space continue to be an area of interest as xMatters brought in $40MM to continue building their collaboration platform that accelerates incident response and resolution. Mixmax added $10MM to improve email such as one-click scheduling for meetings, tracking when emails are opened and more. On the employee communication front, Dynamic Signal raised $36MM to build out their engagement platform.
- For markets powered by data and analytics, it was a strong month. Icertis led the way with a $50MM Series D to continue building their cloud contract management platform, while big data platform Trifacta pulled in $48MM.
- Customer support startups saw a spike in venture financing with UJET adding $25MM to build their real-time customer communications platform. Agent IQ, an AI-enhanced customer engagement platform raised $6MM.
- While we’re mentioning AI, New York City’s Marketing Evolution raked in $20MM to build out their AI-based marketing optimization and analytics software.
- XebiaLabs, a company that helps companies automate enterprise DevOps functions, raised $100MM to expand their partnerships and grow their engineering team.
- In the hiring and recruiting space, HackerRank raised another $30MM to match developers with jobs.
- Other financings worth mentioning include performance management software Reflektive ($60MM), video conferencing service Highfive ($32MM), open design platform Figma ($25MM), and fraud detection solutions provider DataVisor ($40MM).
Portfolio Executive Opportunities
- VP of Business Development — Textio is an augmented writing platform for smarter hiring. The ideal candidate has previous experience leading business development in a fast-growing enterprise SaaS environment, particularly in a mid-stage startup.
- Head of Product Marketing — Gusto’s fully-integrated platform automates payroll, benefits and HR tasks for companies. Gusto is looking for a leader with 8+ years of product marketing experience, ideally with experience bringing a multi-option SaaS product to a consumer or SMB market.
- Head of People — Crunchbase is the leading platform to discover innovative companies and the people behind them. The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience in the People/HR function within a high-growth, progressive organization.
Thank you for reading and feel free to share with friends and colleagues.