“How I Work”: Ellen Gomes, Sr. Content Manager, Marketo @egomes1019 #HowIWork

September 14, 2017 Matt Heinz

By Matt Heinz, President of Heinz Marketing

“How I Work” is one of my favorite recurring features in Inc Magazine as well as via Lifehacker’s This Is How I Work Series, and recently several sales experts (including  Anthony IannarinoDave Brock and Trish Bertuzzi) participated as well.

Periodically moving forward, we will feature a new B2B sales, marketing or business leader here answering what have become the standard “How I Work” questions.  You can catch up on everyone we’ve featured thus far in the “How I Work” series here.

Today I’m excited to feature, Ellen Gomes, senior content marketing manager and lead on all content initiatives at Marketo. For years, Marketo has been a leader in providing value-added, insightful content to B2B marketers and Ellen’s work has been at the heart of it.

Here, in her own words, is how she gets so much done.

Current computers: MacBook Air with WAY too many tabs open in my browser.

Current mobile devices: iPhone 5s

What apps/software/tools can’t you live without?

Work: Outlook, Microsoft word, Powerpoint, Google Docs, Google Analytics, TrackMaven, Grammarly, Evernote, Slack, Marketo, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Slideshare, Adobe Acrobat

Life: Fitbit, Podcast App, Venmo, Google Maps, Spotify, Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, LinkedIn, Grammarly

What’s your workspace like? Marketo has an open office plan, so my workspace is fairly open and bright. My desk itself is organized chaos, think a couple neat stacks of notebooks + sticky notes and fun stuff like a cat lady action figure set, a cat calendar, orchid and my beloved corgi mug (can you tell I have pets?).

What’s your best time-saving shortcut or lifehack? I love lists, but lists can get superfluous and not help you streamline your thinking or time. I try to keep my lists to the top 6 things I need to get done in a day. It makes the tasks feasible, helps you prioritize your time and if you have time left over you feel great accomplishing bonus tasks!

What everyday thing are you better at than anybody else? Bringing humor into a situation. Humor can diffuse a tense meeting, start one on the right foot, and help you build personal relationships. I think it’s absolutely critical at work where we spend as much time together as we do with our families.

What’s your favorite to-do list manager? Pen and paper, but I also usually duplicate it on my phone through Evernote.

What do you listen to while at work? Spotify, but more specifically I listen to classical guitar, piano, or jazz covers of popular songs. The common thread is no lyrics, which I find distract me from writing and editing.

What are you currently reading? The Lying Game by Ruth Ware… I pretty much stick to fiction when I read for fun, although I’ll listen to an autobiography or nonfiction as an audiobook.

What’s your sleep routine like? Sleep is my absolute favorite. Ideally I’d get 9 hours, but I am fairly strict with myself about getting 8 hours. I usually go to bed by 10:30pmand wake up at 6:30am.

What’s the best advice you’ve ever received? Put yourself in someone else’s shoes. I think that the core here is to have empathy and take the time to not only understand different perspectives but value them. This advice is for anyone who interacts with other people… so, everyone.

Anything else you want to add?  This is a great idea—thank you for including me. Yay for sustainable, valuable content series!

Fill in the Blank: I’d love to see BLANK answer these questions. Dream life: Stephen King Real life: Peg Fitzpatrick, David Cain, Matt Zilli

The post “How I Work”: Ellen Gomes, Sr. Content Manager, Marketo @egomes1019 #HowIWork appeared first on Heinz Marketing.

Previous Article
What happens when the rolodex runs dry
What happens when the rolodex runs dry

Relationship selling isn’t dead.  But selling based purely on relationships is increasingly rare. Relations...

Next Article
Your new year planning should start in September
Your new year planning should start in September

Too often we start (or at least finish) new year planning far too late.  By the time your plan is locked in...